Using an outsourcing company for printing projects seems simple and convenient: send the design by email, request the number of prints, and get the copies back.
But do the benefits of outsourcing printing outweigh the drawbacks? Is working with print production companies really the best option for your business?
Some companies - especially large firms and creative businesses - may be missing out on some benefits that only in-house printing can provide. Here are 11 of the tops reasons for why in-house print management may be the best choice for your business:
- Inhouse printing is faster - Print on demand when you need it, on your schedule.
- Can produce and mail on the same day - With your own printing operation and mailing equipment, you can produce material and have it sent out right away. That can go a long way in saving time and money when compared to a print and mail outsource option.
- You can change and delete jobs without extra fees - In-house printing helps you avoid additional costs print shops may charge if you want to change important details.
- Inhouse printing lets you experiment - Not sure about colors, sizes or types of paper? No problem with in-house printing - you can do small runs and customize the job for the best possible result.
- Lower costs for small runs - In many cases, printing in-house can go a long way in reducing costs. Besides being more cost-effective for small jobs, in-house print jobs can be done on-demand with a faster turnaround.
- Fewer delays - Weather, traffic and holidays that can affect printing companies aren’t an issue when you have your own production printer. The work gets done when you need it, and on schedule.
- Last-minute adjustments? No problem! - Typos, tweaks and last-minute edits are possible with no extra fees or time delays when you have your own in-house printer.
- High quality - Print technologies have come a long way in terms of quality. You can customize your print production equipment according to the exact requirements of your core business and achieve stunning quality with consistent results every time.
- Increased security - Do you print documents that contain sensitive client information? Digital data transmission over insecure networks can expose data and compromise its safety. Combined with Managed IT services, your sensitive data is kept safe when you print confidential documents in-house.
- Top-notch service and training - Our experts can help you choose the best production printing setup for your company and provide comprehensive training with minimal disruption to your business.
- Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - Your own production printing department is open when you are!
Factors to consider when choosing in-house vs. outsourced printing
Production printing is a significant investment for any business - especially in today’s economic environment. Here are three major factors to consider when selecting the best option for your company:
Does your company order printing services on a regular basis? Many businesses that use outsourced printing services often incur high costs that add up over the long term. When it comes to high frequency and large volumes, buying a production printer for your business can be both time and cost-effective.
Time and Productivity
Are you constantly sending out employees to the print shop to pick up orders? Are there time lags hampering business productivity? How often do employees need to be sent back if there are errors or inconsistent print quality? These questions are critical when assessing if in-house production printing is the right choice for your company.
Quality & Creative Control
Outsourcing your printing often requires that you give up some control over the printing result. Mistakes sometimes happen - whether they are at your company or at the print shop. Other times, your creative staff could have used a trial run to determine the best colors, paper type and size.
When you have your own printing equipment, you have complete control over the quality of the finished product. You can also print as many samples as necessary to ensure that the end result is according to your specifications.
In-house printing may be the best option for your needs
Choosing between in-house and outsourced printing services comes down to factors that are unique to your business. While outsourced printing definitely has some benefits, large organizations and creative companies are choosing an in-house printing solution. Besides saving time and money, in-house printing offers better security and complete control over your print jobs, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.